Hello, My name is Christina Nixon Cole, and I torch my art.

I'm a glass, micromosaic and silver jewelry artist. Welcome!

Facebook - Yelp - YouTube - Etsy

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fire Retardant Fabric

As I get my booth more set up, I am having to think about how I want my tables to look. Dave, my wonderful husband, surprised me with some new folding banquet tables I've had my eye on for several months. My vision has been to make nice fitted table skirts for them.


In my research on fabrics, I thought ahead to the times when I will need to have the booth ready for conventions and they require your fabric to be fire retardant.

Now, you can go two ways to make sure your fabric is FR (Fire Retardant) . You can spray it or treat it with FR spray or get FR Fabric.

One of my questions is WHY does it have to be FR? If the building is going up in smoke, it's a given that the fabric is going to burn too. Well, yes, it will burn if it is engulfed in a major fire. However let's think a little smaller.

Fire Retardant Fabrics are used in many places and used for many things, stages, table cloths, welding. Regular, organic fabrics will burn if caught on fire, while synthetic fabrics will melt in small flames. So if the fabric were exposed to a hot stage light, welding sparks, or candles on a table, it will most likely burn a small hole rather catch the whole stage curtain on fire.

Photo: Chair in front not protected, Chair In Back Protected With Fabric Fire Gard.


This is what it says on the website:

"NO-BURN® FABRIC FIRE GARD, a clear and odorless liquid, was developed to help alleviate this problem. This non-toxic, non-carcinogenic and environmentally safe fire retardant is applied directly to furniture fabrics and other interior furnishings. Not only can NO-BURN® FABRIC FIRE GARD slow down the fire, but in many cases it will not allow interior furnishings to catch fire.

FABRIC FIRE GARD can also be applied to stuffed toys, crafts, clothing, holiday decorations, costumes, potholders and many other household items."


I have yet to find out if the Fire Marshall will require proof that your fabric is FR. I have seen that you can request a certificate from the fabric vendors if they are selling it as FR material. Perhaps carrying a small swatch of fabric with a fire proofed test on the corner could be proof enough, and satisfy the Marshall.

Here is a good website for simple explination and photos: http://www.fireretardantspray.co.uk/about.php

Now the challenge... what color should I chose?



1 comment:

Torched Art said...

Update:
this link touches on the possible harmful effects from flame retardant. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/06/flame-retardant-causes-altered-thyroid-hormone-levels.aspx