Hello, My name is Christina Nixon Cole, and I torch my art.

I'm a glass, micromosaic and silver jewelry artist. Welcome!

Facebook - Yelp - YouTube - Etsy

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Blowing Shards

Blowing shards is fun. I have a small steel pipe. By gathering a full rod of glass and adding frit or enamels, I can blow bubbles. The balls of glass are so beautiful. Perfect timing around Easter, they look like decorated eggs.


Here is a close-up of one ball. I used green glass with a variety of blues and green enamels.

Every time I blow a new ball of glass, they make different shapes. I'm trying to perfect that.









This is a tray of enamels, I used pink and red.
This one is Effetre brown, with chalcedony frit.
All bagged up, no dust can get to my precious shards. Now where to store them so they don't break????



I plan on trying millefiores, and using stringers to make dots and spirals.

1 comment:

Shirley Duran said...

Blowing shards sounds like so much fun! I've always wanted to blow SOMETHING out of glass, and the best part of this is that it doesn't have to be any particular shape.
I do agree with you that it would be fun to eventually be able to control the shapes. You have a pretty good looking heart going in one of your pictures.
Can't wait 'till January 10th.
Shirl